Add greens to your favorite egg dishes for the healthy twist. Below is a great option for individual servings of a healthy cups of eggs and greens. You can substitute any mixture for the middle of the cup, as it is fun to try new ingredient options.
Kale Egg Cups
- 1 medium yellow or red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
- 1/2 pound of turkey sausage
- 8 large kale leaves (small full leaves)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dash of parsley for a finishing touch
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 8 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-medium cup muffin pan and set the pan aside. Boil small saucepan of water.
- Chop the onion and bell pepper and set aside with turkey sausage.
- One at a time, hold each kale leaf by its stem and dip it into the boiling water until it turns bright green, about 5 seconds, then lay it on some paper towels to drain.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, green onions, bell pepper, and salt and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in the sausage and sauté just until it turns brown, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- One at a time, pat each kale leaf dry with a paper towel. Cut away its stem and then cut the leaf crosswise into 3 pieces. Line the bottom and sides of a prepared muffin cup with the 3 pieces, overlapping them and making sure to cover the sides all the way up to the top. It is best to use short full kale leaves for this recipe. Repeat the procedure to line all of the cups and make sure the bottom has a good base of kale.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the mozzarella in each cup, top that with a spoonful of the vegetable and sausage mixture, making sure there is still room in the cup for an egg. Crack an egg into each cup and then sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the Parmesan over the egg. When all 8 cups are filled, place the muffin pan in the oven and bake until the eggs are set, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Transfer the muffin pan to a wire rack and let the egg cups cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Run a table knife around the inside edge of each cup so they can lift out easily. Enjoy these cuties!
Try creating your own eggs and green dishes, and see how your company likes them. Adding green vegetables to your eggs is also a great option, so try adding zucchini, spinach, brussel sprouts and more.