All this social distancing has given me some time to actually enjoy the process of cooking again! This granola is delicious and surprisingly easy to make – a great choice to pair with greek yogurt and more natural than any packaged product you will find at the store! A great option for your pregame or post-workout meal and it keeps well in a jar for several days or can be frozen. This recipe was passed along from a running friend, with just a few modifications to add extra fiber and some of my favorite seeds! The chia seeds, hemp seeds, and almonds add some healthy fat, a little protein, and minerals like magnesium & calcium to balance your nutrition.
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups sliced or chopped almonds
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup hemp seeds (if desired, can also use flaxseed)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
2. Spread parchment paper on large baking sheet
3. Combine oil and honey in sauce pan over low heat and stir until combined, whisk in vanilla and remove from heat.
4. In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, coconut, chia, hemp, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon.
5. Pour the oil/honey mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with wooden spoon until coated.
6. Spread granola out on an even layer on the cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes at 300 degrees F. Stir gently every 10-15 minutes.